Hearing about the release of cross-platform, open-source gaming engine Godot, I thought I'd give it a go. After getting the source from github, I hit a "what do I do now" moment? There didn't seem to be anything to run, and I couldn't find any docs that explained what to do.
Perhaps obviously in hindsight, I could have gone to the "compiling from source" page and followed that, but for whatever reason I didn't find it, so here's the process I took to get up and running (using Kubuntu 13.04):
- There is a makefile in the root of the source code. I tried "make all", but it fell over with the error: /bin/sh: 1: scons: not found.
- Tried installing scons (sudo apt-get install scons).
- Make then failed with: scons: *** Do not know how to make File target `bin/godot'
- Web search led to a Godot forum post that defined the other dependencies that are needed:
- Now: $ make all
- Should get "scons: done building targets".
- run "bin/godot", this should open the Project Manager.
- Continue to follow the Godot tutorials.
apt-get install scons pkg-config libx11-dev libxcursor-dev \ build-essential libasound2-dev libfreetype6-dev \ libgl1-mesa-dev libglu-dev