Sunday, April 21, 2013

Canon MG6250 Scanning on Xubuntu 12.10

The other day a friend of mine challenged me asked me if I'd got scanning going on the Canon MG6250.

I had never tried it, and some research showed other people were having some issues as well.

Here were the steps I took to get it going:

  • Install xsane (sudo apt-get install xsane)
  • The sane man pages refer to "backendname" a lot. The project's documentation gives the backend name for the 6250 as "pixma"
  • man sane-pixma (seems to be a man entry for each backend) tells you to that network scanners should normally be detected, but if not, add them directly to /etc/sane.d/pixma.conf
  • Edit that file and add a line of the format:
    bjnp://<ip_address>
    IP address can be retrieved from the printer settings dialog, or from the options in the printer itself.
  • After adding an entry for the printer, save pixma.conf
  • If the sane daemon isn't running (some have reported that it is running, but I had to start it manually as per the next two steps):
    • Edit /etc/default/saned and set RUN=yes.
    • Then start the sane service: service saned start
  • Run xsane

Now xsane should discover the scanner, and instead of saying "no devices found" and dying, it should run up (brings up about 4 windows). All the default settings seem to work — just press "Scan".

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sorting this one out Ash, I've made use of it again today. For my distro (Arch) I needed a package called cups-bjnp before I could use the MG6250 on the network.

    ReplyDelete